Sunday, September 14, 2014

Riding to give back

Today I sent out the SAC River to ride my bike. It was for the Thorn a Thon. A now annual event where you get people to donate a certain amount of money per lap and then you ride until you cant ride anymore. Today we raised over $1000 from what I understand. That money will go back to help create new trails and maintain the ones we have.

Unfortunately for me, I just found out about it. So I didn't participate in the event proper. But I decided to go out anyway. I road the trail and helped motivate people to keep going instead of dropping dead. I would ride with someone that was struggling and help get them to the next lap. People were able to take breaks so it wasn't non-stop.The course loop was a little under 2 miles. No big deal right? Well when you figure in lots of climbing, combined with the fact that the event was from 10am to 4pm, and you're trying to crank out as many laps as possible. It beat people up. The person with the most laps came in at an even 30, around 55 miles. Up hills. Eaten by bugs. It was tough. Surprisingly almost everyone cranked out more than 10 laps, even the kids!

We have a wonderful organization that really supports the local creation and conservation of our trail network. Besides riding, we have work days where well go out to a trail and do whatever needs done, usually followed by riding and beer. Its amazing the amount that the members volunteer. Without it, we wouldn't have any place to ride.  I am really glad I joined them. I'm really glad I got rid of my road bike. This is so much more fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment