Thursday, September 25, 2014

Otaku Unite!

So as some of you may know from our greeting posts at the beginning of the semester, I am a big Anime and Manga fan. I am an Otaku (one with an overly healthy addiction to most things to do with the subject, i.e. GEEK!). Now Im sure when most of you think on Anime and Manga, you think of Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z. Yes, (unfortunately) those are Anime and Manga, but there is so much more out there! Anime is the Hollywood of Japan, well not in the respect as a physical location, but in comparison of what they produce. Japanese Seiyu (voice actors) are famous and are Japans version of our movie celebrities. Japanese bands even fight for the right to create theme music for shows. You can find horror, comedy, Shonen (for guys), Shojo (for girls, think chick flick), drama. You name it. It exists! Anime is one of my passions. I enjoy it for the stories, for the beautiful artwork, for the exposure to another culture. It is an escape to me like reading is to others. Its an entrance to the imagination, to other worlds, to other times! There is no limit. Plus as I am an artist I love to create my own versions of some beloved characters. Right now I am watching Samurai Champloo, a bohemian rhapsody spin on Samurai in Edo period feudal Japan ( just watch it, its a classic), and Sword Art Online, a show on the world first VRMMORPLG (Vrtual Reality Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game, man that a mouth full!) and one you log in, you either beat the game, or die...in real life! I mean, some of the stuff Japan comes up with would make killer movies over here instead of the same old same old Marvel Comics movies. It does seem at times Hollywood is out of ideas... Yes, like everything there are shows that make Anime seem like its just for kids, namely those mentioned above, but just give it a shot! Watch some on TV some time. Cartoon Network / Adult Swim on Saturday nights has a great lineup of new shows. Barnes and Noble has a huge Manga (graphic novel) section that most Anime are based on. Be one with your inner Otaku. Let me know what you think!



No comments:

Post a Comment